Sunday, December 17, 2006

Concubine or Whore?

Daughter: Mom, what is a prostitute?

Mom: A WHAT? Where did you hear that?

D: On sky news, they said that 5 prostitutes were killed.

M: Oh....hmmm they are night shift workers. (opening the newspaper)

D: They said that they earn around 250 per night (sterling).

M: Oh really. (head inside paper)

D: What kind of work do they do then Mom?

M: Well...all kinds really...anything and everything. Boring stuff I suppose. (walking to other room)

D: It sounds like good money though. Do they have prostitutes in Dubai?

M: uuuuuhhhhhh, I don't think so. (agitation setting in).

D: If it is boring and you can earn so much money, then I think I will be the first one then.

M: Listen. It is not a nice job, and they take drugs and stuff like that and I really don't want you to discuss this matter again, with me or anyone. And stop watching the news. (Now pissed off).

D: Do you have to go to university to be one? (She has now dropped the P word, she realises it brings the sour lemon look on my face).

M: No, no education as such is required. But plenty of experience I would imagine. (oh god, please quit now).

D: So it is boring, you have to take drugs and you get paid a lot, right?

M: YES RIGHT (ohhhhhhh give up pulllleeeeeeeeeeeez).

D: Why are you getting annoyed with me? I bet you don't really know what one is. I will check it on google, since you always tell me to check there first.

M: OK dear (flicking the power switch to off on the back of the DSL router).

7 comments:

Harsha said...

how old is she?

anyways.. if shes old enough Please tell her. if not.. then tell her its not a nice thing and once she grows up she'll get to know on her own..

Anyway damage done. SHE'S BOUND TO FIND OUT NOW!

CG said...

Harsha

Definately not old enough to know, but old enough to keep on pushing if I tell her to wait until she grows up!!

Long Distance said...

whoever said "Ignorance is Bliss"
Was Right!

Anonymous said...

Actually towards the end you can be thankful for the proxy. It sure bugs us, but for parents, its a blessing.

BuJ said...

not sure what to make of it.. the worse thing is when someone tells a parent what to do with their kid.. that's ur own decision..

however, i guess she'll learn eventually just like she surely knows how to switch on the dsl.. anyway.. the story itself is amusing in a way dispite the sad events near Ipswich

CG said...

Buj...She does not know how to turn the router on yet...hehe. I always keep it on the top of the cupboard near the ceiling and it is facing towards the wall, so she would not think to check it. (even I have to stand on a chair and stretch). She just thinks that Etisalat are worse than they really are.

As for people telling me what to do with them, I take it with a pinch of salt. I am hoping to maintain her ignorance for as long as possible, even if that means occasionally ignoring her questions or changing the subject. Kids know way too much these days.

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Hmm, I have no idea what I would tell my kid. People say one shouldn't take ones kids for a "much too long ride" while explaining birds bees and in this case wasps, but then again, people don't always have kids of their own so it is easier said than done.